To keep Philippine produced cement products globally competitive and always reliable in building safe, resilient, and sustainable infrastructures, the Department of Trade and Industry’s Bureau of Philippine Standards (DTI-BPS) has updated Philippine National Standards (PNS) on Cement as well as other ASTM International (ASTM) standards on Hydraulic Cements that were already adopted as PNS. The new PNS 63:2019 Blended Hydraulic Cements – Specification merges cement types portland-pozzolan cement and portland blast-furnace slag cement into a single standard. It also includes portland-limestone cement and ternary blended cement as types of blended hydraulic cements.
PNS 63:2019 cancels and replaces PNS 63:2006 and PNS 69:2005, and their respective amendments: PNS 63:2006 Amd. 1:2010; PNS 69:2005 Amd. 1:2006; and PNS 69:2005 Amd 2:2010. The following ASTM standards were also adopted as PNS:
- PNS ASTM C186:2019 Standard Test Method for Heat of Hydration of Hydraulic Cement (This standard cancels and replaces PNS ASTM C186:2005 - ASTM Published 1998) ICS: 91.100.10
- PNS ASTM C187:2019 Standard Test Method for Amount of Water Required for Normal Consistency of Hydraulic Cement Paste (ASTM Published 2016) (This standard cancels and replaces PNS ASTM C187:2005 - ASTM Published 1998) ICS: 91.100.10
- PNS ASTM C188:2019 Standard Test Method for Density of Hydraulic Cement (ASTM Published 2017) (This standard cancels and replaces PNS ASTM C188:2005 - ASTM Published 1995, reapproved 2003) ICS: 91.100.10
- PNS ASTM C227:2019 Standard Test Method for Potential Alkali Reactivity of Cement-Aggregate Combinations (Mortar-Bar Method) (ASTM Published 2010) (This standard cancels and replaces PNS ASTM C227:2005 - ASTM Published 1997) ICS: 91.100.10
- PNS ASTM C311/C311M:2019 Standard Test Methods for Sampling and Testing Fly Ash or Natural Pozzolans for Use in Portland-Cement Concrete (ASTM Published 2017) (This standard cancels and replaces PNS 749:1992 - ASTM C311 Published 1992) ICS: 91.100.10
- PNS ASTM C430:2019 Standard Test Method for Fineness of Hydraulic Cement by the 45-μm (No. 325) Sieve (ASTM Published 2017) (This standard cancels and replaces PNS ASTM C430:2005 - ASTM Published 1996, reapproved 2003) ICS: 91.100.10
- PNS ASTM C688:2019 Standard Specification for Functional Additions for Use in Hydraulic Cements (ASTM Published 2014) (This standard cancels and replaces PNS ASTM C688:2005 - ASTM Published 2000) ICS: 91.100.10
- PNS ASTM C1012/C1012M:2019 Standard Test Method for Length Change of Hydraulic-Cement Mortars Exposed to a Sulfate Solution (ASTM Published 2018) (This standard cancels and replaces PNS ASTM C1012:2005 - ASTM Published 2002) ICS: 91.100.10
The abovementioned standards were adopted through the recommendation of the BPS Technical Committee on Cement and Lime (BPS/TC 3). These standards support the United Nations Sustainable Development Goal (UNSDG) on Industry, Innovation and Infrastructure (Goal 9) and on Sustainable Cities and Communities (Goal 11).